Friday, April 19, 2013

Equality



I remember on March 3rd, 2004, Oregon legalized gay marriage.  It was a huge deal and I remember being very against it.  I only knew personally of 1 or 2 people that had a "partner" but sadly I judged them.  I use to saying stupid/hurtful things like "God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve."  I am ashamed of my previous behavior.

Fast forward 9 years later........

 I have had a couple close friends that are attracted to their same sex gender.  I have one friend very hush-hush about it due to fear of being rejected by loved ones, and another friend who is very open about it but knows all to well about being disacknowledged from family and friends .  Talking to them about how it effects their life, it made me very sad.  I couldn't imaging have to be in their shoes and being judged and bullied relentlessly.

I decided that I would fully support anyone that has same-sex attraction.  After all, it is 2013..... times have changed.

Last night I saw the movie "42".  Movie "42" Its based on a true story that happened in the 1940's.  If you've seen the movie, there is a part where Robinson gets very discouraged after being called many racial slurs and cant do anything but keep his silence.  When he destroys his baseball bat and Rickey starts talking to him to encourage him to not let it get to him.  Whatever he says in the scene, i related to the nations controvery on same-sex marriage.  I imagined God telling those that are attracted to their same gender the same thing.

The movie 42 is about racism back in the day.  Look how stupid we look now (2013) for treating "colored" people so horribly.  In 2050, we will probably look back and thing how stupid we looked for trying to ban same-sex marriage.

We obviously have our own agency; we can believe and do whatever we want, but this is the simplest way to explain it in my opinion......

I believe that if it doesn't but you in harms way, then why should it bother you.  If someone gets drunk and then drives, it could put you in harms way.  If someone does drugs and it affects their mind (in fact it does), it could put you in danger.  Someone being gay or lesbian, is NOT going to effect you. 

If you're a conservative religious person, you are taught to love all.  You are taught to not judge because only God is the one that can judge, not you.  When God comes, he will decide what was right and what was wrong.  I find it funny how LDS people are judged so awfully by other religions and persons and LDS people know what its like to be treated with such hate yet they turn around and basically do the same thing with gays and lesbians.  Ironic? yes.

I never thought I would say this, but I just want peace!  There is so much hate in this world now, I just wish everyone would love each other.  Put away their differences and love like family.  Because we are.  We all have the same Father.

Just love.  

I changed my opinion on same-sex marriage, I hope you will too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment